Call Numbers and Floor Plans for Main Stacks
The Stony Brook University Libraries use Library of Congress call numbers. The Main Stacks contains collections of journals, serials and books for the study of numerous disciplines in the humanities and social sciences. The location code MAIN refers to the materials housed on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th floors of the Main Library.
First Letter of the Call Number
Floor Where the Item is Located
|A - E||2nd floor|
|F - N||3rd floor|
|Q - Z||3rd floor|
|Use the Stacks stairs on the third floor, to get to the second and fourth floors.|
- Science books in the G and Q thru TX range are in the North Reading Room stacks
- Current non-science Periodicals are in the Central Reading Room
- Reserve materials are at the 3rd floor Circulation desk
- All oversized books will have "x", "xx" or "xxx" indicated before the call number. Single "x" indicates oversize; "xx" indicates double oversize and "xxx" indicates triple oversize. All oversize books are shelved at the end of the general collections on each floor, beginning with single "x". The only exception to this is that "x" N's (art books) are shelved with regular size N's. For detailed information, please consult the stacks floor maps located on the second and fourth floor landings in the stacks stairwell. This does not apply to oversized material in Government Documents and the Reference Department, where all sizes are shelved together.
- Books that are located in the Cage collection are housed behind the Book Return Desk. Please ask desk staff to retrieve Cage material. You will need to present staff with call number information. All Cage material must be checked out using your library ID card even when browsing the material.
- Audio visual items are located on the third floor, in the front of Core West.