Fast Facts About the Library
Did you know that the Library:
- Owns over 2.1 million items and circulates over 140,000 of them every year.
- Is a member of the Association of Research Libraries, a consortium of the top 120 research libraries in the country.
- Represents at least 25 languages in its collections.
- Owns over 130,000 maps, atlases, and aerial photographs.
- Circulates a wider range of DVDs and videos (approx. 45,000) than any library in Long Island - including every Shakespeare play, dozens of silent era films, feature films from Mexico, Iran, China and Iceland, the first animated films, lectures and readings by Nobel Prize winning scientists and world-renowned authors.
- Has, with nearly 4 million rolls, one of the country’s largest microfilm collections.
- Provides the Stony Brook University Community with access to 450 online research databases and almost 100,000 electronic journals.
- Makes all its electronic resources available to every Stony Brook student and employee anywhere in the world, including 324,000 eBooks.
- Has a Special Collections that houses over 25,000 rare books, 500 collections, 800 maps, and the University Archives. Highlights include the papers of U.S. Senator Jacob K. Javits, Environmental Defense Fund, William Butler Yeats and an extensive Long Island Collection.