Circulation Policy - Health Sciences Library
If you need immediate circulation assistance, contact us at 444-2512.
- Regular loans
- Reserve material
- Electronic course reserves
- Reference books and journals
- Proxy borrowing
- Overdue material
- Loan status and online renewal
- Lost items
- Paying options
- Suspension of borrowing privileges
- Appealing Library fines and charges
- Books circulate for a 30 day loan period.
- Renewals are possible if material is not on hold for another user.
- Library users are encouraged to renew regular loans on-line.
- Renew on-line by accessing your library user account.
- A library user's library account may be accessed using the Sign-In function in the Health Sciences Library catalog.
- Regular loans may be renewed on-line three times only.
- Fourth renewals need to be done in person at the Health Sciences Library circulation desk with books in-hand.
- Library users must have a current e-mail address in their library account to borrow books.
- Reserve materials circulate for a 2-hour loan period.
- Reserve materials on loan cannot leave the library.
- Reserve materials cannot be renewed on-line.
- Personal copies and permanent reserves do not circulate outside the library.
- Students access electronic course reserves through Blackboard.
- Reference books and print journals do not circulate outside the library.
- Eligible library users may place a hold on a regular 30-day loan that is checked out by another library user.
- Holds cannot be placed on reserve or reference items.
- Library users will be notified when books placed on hold become available.
- Library users can place holds through their library user account.
- A library user's account may be accessed using the Sign-In function in the Health Sciences Library catalog.
- Patrons may call the Circulation Desk
at 444-2512 for library user account assistance.
- To check out library material, present a valid Stony Brook University ID card to library staff. An ID card is not transferable. You are liable for all materials checked out to your ID number. Please notify Circulation Services, 444-2512, if your ID card is lost or stolen. Faculty, staff or teaching graduate students may complete and submit the Proxy Borrower Form, which will allow others to borrow on your library account. There is a limit of two proxy borrowers per account.
- As a courtesy to our users, notices are sent indicating the due dates of library items currently on loan.
- Overdue notices are sent to all patrons via the e-mail address associated with their SOLAR record (usually the Stony Brook e-mail account).
- Failure to receive a notice does not exempt borrowers from overdue fines or other fees.
- Status of materials on loan are available in the user's library account.
- A user's library account may be accessed using the Sign-In function in the Health Sciences Library catalog.
- Library accounts allow library users to check due dates, renew materials, and place items on hold.
- Need library account assistance? Call the Health Sciences Library Circulation Desk at 444-2512.
|Regular Loans||$.25/day||max: $15|
|2 Hour Reserves||$6.00/day||max: $85|
|3 Day Loans||$2.00/day||max: $85|
- Regular Loans: 35 days late
- 2 Hour Reserves: 10 days late
- 3 Day Loans: 35 days late
- A $10.00 non-refundable "Lost
Item Billing Fee" is applied to a library user's account for each item deemed lost.
- Library users are responsible for any maximum overdue fines (non-refundable) incurred
on the lost item.
- Borrowing privileges are suspended with a total accrued fines of $5.00 or more.
- Library users will be assessed a Lost Item Charge of $100/ item (or actual replacement cost + $40) which ever is less expensive.
- Library users will incur an administrative block for any outstanding library fees, fines or items deemed lost (see: Administrative Blocks).
- Library users may choose to pay the replacement cost of a lost item or replace the lost item with the same or newer edition.
- A $10.00 non-refundable "Lost
HS Library Circulation Department Accounts HSC Level 3, Room 136 100 Nicholls Road Stony Brook, NY 11794
Students with an outstanding balance of $300.00 on their account for library fees are not eligible to register at the University. No student may receive a degree, certificate of completion or transcript until all charges due to the university or any of its related divisions are paid in full. Delinquent accounts may be transferred to private collection agencies and/or the New York State Attorney General's Office for collection, and are subject to additional interest and/or collection charges.
Suspension of Borrowing Privileges
- You are a student, but you have not enrolled yet
- You have fines totaling $5.00 or more
- You are a Special/Courtesy Borrower who has fines totaling $1.00 or more
- You have reached the maximum number of items allowed
- You have reached a renewal limit for an item
- You have one or more overdue recalled items
- You owe money to another SUNY library through the Open Access Borrowers Program, Interlibrary Loan or through the Research Loan Program
- Your ID card has expired
- Your address is invalid
Library patrons are responsible for knowing and adhering to the circulation policies. Failure to understand these policies will not excuse you from having to pay overdue fines or billed Library material. If you feel you have an extenuating circumstance and should be considered for a waiver of Library fines, you may fill out an appeals request.
- Lack of knowledge of Library policies. University Library policies are available on the Library's site and in the Library;
- Forgot due date or did not know there was a due date;
- Did not receive courtesy or overdue notice;
- Outdated information in your library account. Keep your email, address and phone number up to date in your account;
- Loaned item to someone else;
- Being out of town, on vacation, intersession or holiday;
- Returned book to wrong library;
- Inclement weather
|Waiver of library charges-HSL.pdf||420.09 KB|