Research and Reference Services
William Glenn, Head of Research Services
Central Reading Room
Frank Melville Jr., Memorial Library C-1600
Research and Reference Team: Dana Antonucci, Darren Chase, Karen D'Angelo, Jennifer Devito, Chris Filstrup, Bonnie Gallagher, William Glenn, Fiona Grady, Elaine Hoffman, Michael Bailou Huang, Susan Kaufman, Colleen Kenefick, Raquel Lynn, Kathleen Maxheimer, Donna Sammis, Gisele Schierhorst, Susan Werner
Research and Reference Services for the West Campus are located in the Central Reading Room on the first floor of the Library. Walk-in reference service and other services of the Central Reading Room are provided at the Information Desk in the front of the room.
Information on Research and Reference Services for the Health Sciences Library are available here.
Research and Reference Services - West Campus
Walk-in Reference.* The reference and information desk is where most people begin their library research. A professional librarian is available:
- 10:00 am to 6:00 pm, Monday through Thursday
- 11:00 am to 3:00 pm, Friday
- 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm, Saturday through Sunday
* In addition to traditional walk-in reference, a number of other services are provided by the Research and Reference Team.
- Ask a Librarian. This service provides reference service by telephone (631-632-7110), email, and online chat when it is not possible or convenient to come to the library. These services are popular with those who are using our extensive electronic resources from home or office.
- In-depth consultation. For in-depth research please schedule appointments with one of our subject specialists. Subject specialists include all members of the Reference Team, as well as Subject Selectors from other parts of the libraries. If you know the subject specialist in your area, you may make an appointment directly by phone or e-mail. If you are uncertain who to ask, inquire at the Reference Desk before making an appointment.
Other Services of the Central Reading Room
- The Reference and Information Desk is staffed all hours the library is open. The staff at this desk can answer basic questions about such things as library hours and how to use the online catalog (STARS). In addition, this desk is the service point for the Microforms Collection and Current Periodicals.
- Library Instruction. The Central Reading Room houses two computer classrooms, which are administered by the Library Instruction Coordinator. Inquiries about instructional programs can be made at the Reference Desk, or by contacting Fiona Grady at Fiona.Grady@stonybrook.edu, 631.632.1138.
- Current Periodicals, Magazines, and Newspapers are located in the center of the room. Service for this area is provided at the Reference and Information Desk.
- Disability Support Services Resource Room. Access to a specially equipped classroom with equipment for Stony Brook students is provided at the Reference and Information Desk.
- Access to Specialized Collections. These include Government Information, Maps, Microforms, the Science and Engineering Library, and the other branch libraries. If a question about these collections cannot be answered at the Reference and Information Desk, an appointment can be made with a specialist.